Sumptuous vegan choc haz braz muffins topped with a generous swirl of fluffy buttercream frosting. The nutty sponge and buttercream flavour pack just the right level of punch to leave you wanting more... and more.
As a hobby baker, I am always on the lookout for recipes that are simple, delicious and the whole family will love (even when they can be a little picky). With a recipe as easy and heavenly as this one, we knew it just had to be shared.
for 10 Cupcakes
- ¾ cup organic granulated brown sugar (150 g)
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil (50 g), solid
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (220 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar (if unable to find, rice vinegar may also be added).
- ⅓ cup Nutcessity choc has braz butter (85 g)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or oat milk (230 ml)
- 1 cup vegan butter (or whatever feels right for you)
- 2 cups icing sugar (240 g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ Nutcessity choc haz braz butter (85 g)
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 (180°C).
- Grease 10 cups of a muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer to cream together the brown sugar and coconut oil until thoroughly combined.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, vegan milk, and choc haz braz butter and thoroughly mix together.
- Using a sieve, sift the flour, baking powder and salt directly into the bowl. Use a spatula to fold everything in.
- Your batter is complete! The best part of a vegan batter is being able to taste as much as you want before baking, go on... try it!
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin cups using 1 scoop each or fill the cups about ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 22- 25 minutes. Test the muffins by lightly pressing a finger on top, if the sponge bounces back the muffins are ready. Alternatively, insert a toothpick in the centre of a muffin and observe if it comes out clean.
- To make the frosting: Cream the vegan butter with an electric hand mixer in a large clean bowl until soft peaks form.
- Sift in half the powdered sugar and beat to combine. Sift in the rest of the powdered sugar and the vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 10 minutes before folding in the choc haz braz butter to your desired consistency.
- Spread a zip-lock bag over a tall glass so that frosting can easily be scooped into one of the corners. Scoop it in then squeeze all of the frosting into a corner of the bag and snip off that corner. Using a piping tip is optional.
- After allowing the muffins to cool down, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes in a spiral pattern.